STOTT PILATES certification is only awarded upon successful completion of each course and a written and practical exam. At the conclusion of each course you receive a "letter of completion" and the relevant continuing education credits. Upon receiving this letter you are qualified to teach pilates to that specific course level for a period of up to 6 months after completion. During this time you are a STOTT PILATES Trained Apprentice Teacher but it is not until you pass your examination that you are a STOTT PILATES Certified Instructor.
Before taking your exam
Exams must be taken within 6 months of the last course completed. A minimum number of hours of observation, practice teaching and physical review are required for all level 1 courses.
- Observation: Includes watching sessions taught by a STOTT PILATES certified instructor or relevant STOTT PILATES DVDs.
- Practice Teaching: Hours can be fulfilled by instructing family, fellow students, friends or clients.
- Physical Review: This means to physically perform the exercises learned on your course. Taking a class with a STOTT PILATES certified instructors or working out with a DVD.
Check out how many hours you need to complete by going to your course page.
What to expect
Check out the STOTT PILATES ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ information sheet – this will explain the procedure to obtain your STOTT PILATES certification.
Basically the practical exam is split into four sections:
- 1. Introductions – information gathering
- 2. Postural Analysis and focus of workout
- 3. Five Basic Principles
- 4. Taking subject through appropriate workout
My confidence grew and grew during the exam and although the instructor spot checked exercises and quizzed me on my repertoire choices I didn’t feel threatened by it as this is something I was told to expect. If anything, this helped the examiner understand the depth of my knowledge.
Thanks to the time I spent preparing for my exam with an instructor trainer and the fact that I was a body before my exam was priceless! Thank you everyone!
….And yes, I passed!”
Tips on how to prepare for your exam:
The STOTT PILATES examination is what your training has prepared you for but here are just a few tips to help you out:
- Why not request to be a ‘body’ for someone else’s examinations. This is an invaluable way to experience the structure of the practical part of the exam and to feel less nervous about the practical exam on the day.
- Request one or more pre-exam sessions with an Instructor Trainer. A £60 charge is made for an Instructor Trainer private session. Why not reduce the cost by sharing the cost with a fellow student?
- Take a look at our mock exam questions, these are a great way to prepare for the theory exam.
- We run regular STOTT PILATES exam preparation workshops that cover the basic principles the most effective and useful study methods, content that should be focused on, and what to expect during the exam.
- Want to focus on the ‘warm up’ check out STOTT PILATES’ guide to the warm up which outlines the 5 basic principles.
- Take a look at the key points you should be covering for the Basic Principles
The Benefits of being certified
STOTT PILATES certification is highly recognised in the industry and it shows clients and employers that you are a well-qualified professional. Some of the benefits of being certified include:
and tagline: Intelligent Exercise. Profound Results.